Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:06:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Panics with 3/15 sources

I started having process hangs with a kernel built from sources on
3/14 so I supped sources on 3/15 and built a kernel with no lkm's.
Now I get consistent page fault panics and sometimes multiple free
panics.  I went back to lkm's with the same results.

The only source difference is the changes David made to uipc_mbuf.c
and the SCSI sense code messages.  Another difference in my system
is that I inadvertently did a make install in gnu/usr.bin/cc so I
now have gcc-2.6.3.  When I realised my mistake I also installed
the new loaded and assembler.

Is there a problem compiling kernels with 2.6.3?

Here is a typical panic.

fault virtual address	= 0xeff83718
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf0701aa6
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 69 (named)
interrupt mask		=
panic: page fault

The task is always named or ppp but most of the time named.  The
instruction pointers make no sense, they are not in the symbol
table.  The fault address is all over the place too, sometimes 0.

I re-supped the entire sys tree in case something was out of sync
but there were no differences.

John Capo