Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:02:19 +0100
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        "Spades" <spades@galaxynet.org>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [Freebsd-security] Re: IPFIREWALL

Hi,

I dont think you can deny all ddos against your box, you will need help from
your isp.
That is because if a person sends you enough packets, like 1mbit (and your
line is 1mbit)
full of packets, your connection is stuck, whether you filter or not.
Though you can mitigate those by closing all non needed ports, log them if
any attempt is being
made to connect to them, and use a bogon list which filters out traffic that
come from
unused ip-ranges. Note that DDOS not only happends due icmp, but can also
means attacking TCP/UDP
and other protocols as well.

I don't know how it is done by IPFW, but iptables can limit syn connections
(again i don't know
how it's done since i dont have any experience with it, but it can do it)

Also you can use stuff like snmp for example to monitor traffic in
combination with mrtg that is
a good start.

Hope it helped you a little,

--