Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:46:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Slawek Zak <zaks@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securelevel and rw-remount

On 25 Aug 2000, Slawek Zak wrote:

> Could someone tell me why is it possible to remount a read-only
> mounted filesystem read-write after the securelevel is raised to 3? It
> seems dangerous.

Same reasonable as it is possible to use unmount and mount after the
securelevel is raised to 3: someone considered this necessary for
normal operation.  This seems reasonable, since disks can't be written
to at securelevel 3, and a secure system shouldn't have any insecure
devices attached, whether or not they are mounted.

Bruce