Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 09:34:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com (JULIAN Elischer)
Subject:   Re: errros on making floppies

As JULIAN Elischer wrote:

> I'm working on changing the Makefiles in release/ so that each floppy
> is a subdir and can be made individually, (well at least the important
> ones (fixit,root))

Bravo!

> 1.4MB kernel floppy
> 1.4MB root floppy with massively crunched stuff.

Don't call it `root'.  The current root floppy is a simple cpio
archive with the tools needed to install the system.  Re-using this
name for something else would only increase the level of confusion.

Pick the existing fixit floppy.  It doesn't miss very much, namely
about all you need in addition to what's already there is an
/sbin/init (or even /stand/init).

So a two-stage boot will be as simple as putting a floppy with a
kernel into the drive, load it, and swap floppies while the devices
are being probed.  (Paranoid people might boot with -c to get it stop
before the device probing, thus having enough time to swap floppies.)

> The final stage (if I ever understand all this) is:
> a floppy with an MFS filesystem with our custom stuff on it

That's another problem, and it's only interesting for custom-kernel
installation floppies.  Fixit tasks are already covered by the two-
floppy scenario, and this one will also give people the ability to
stuff other useful things onto the fixit floppy after it has been
``burnt'' (like their customized disktab or password master).

--
cheers, J"org