Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:25:05 -0600
From:      "Larry Rosenman" <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        "'Doug Barton'" <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, thierry@herbelot.com
Subject:   RE: no dump on a gmirror ?

Doug Barton wrote:
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> Thierry Herbelot wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have recently converted a machine to a full gmirror configuration
>>> (as explained on http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/ :
>>> everything, including swap, is mirrored).
>>>
>>> The dump device is configured as AUTO from /etc/defaults/rc.conf and
>>> the kernel complains when booting that "No suitable dump device was
>>> found".
>>>
>>> Is this to be expected ? (I do not find any hint in gmirror(8) or
>>> dumpon(8))
>>
>> Yes, unfortunately.
>>
>> I wish someone would change it, as if I get a system panic, I'll
>> not be able to help fix it.
>
> Does specifying a device, rather than using AUTO, work for you?
>
> Doug

as in?

# dumpon /dev/mirror/gm0s1b
dumpon: ioctl(DIOCSKERNELDUMP): Operation not supported
#

Feb 20 13:23:03 thebighonker kernel: Loading configuration files.
Feb 20 13:23:03 thebighonker kernel: dumpon:
Feb 20 13:23:03 thebighonker kernel: ioctl(DIOCSKERNELDUMP)
Feb 20 13:23:03 thebighonker kernel: :
Feb 20 13:23:03 thebighonker kernel: Operation not supported

# cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname="thebighonker.lerctr.org"
dumpdev="/dev/mirror/gm0s1b"

so, no it doesn't.

I don't believe I can get at the "b" slices of the individual disks
(da0/da1).

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893