Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:55:59 -0000
From:      David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
To:        dwbear75@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: max group name length

David Bear wrote:

> was just trying to determine the maximum string length of a group
> name.
>
> found
> struct group {
>              char    *gr_name;       /* group name */
>
> but no size.
>
> any pointers (with limits)?

Hmm, I had a browse through the kernel source for a while but didn't
find anything definite. What I do know is that you should endeavour to
keep the length no greater than 8. Up to 15 is probably ok as well on
modern kernels, and group names longer than 15 is getting a bit silly.

Sorry no to have anything more precise.

David