Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:47:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        Sam Magee <webadmin@adsight.com>
Cc:        Dev Chanchani <dev@trifecta.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS Front Page Extensions v2.0

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Sam Magee wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Dev Chanchani wrote:
>
> > I asked on this list not long ago for the MicroSoft FrontPage Extensions
> > for Apache. Most people were under the mis-understanding that they do not
> > exist. If anyone would like to install FrontPage Extensions v2.0 for
> > Apache, they exist at http://www.rtr.com (link right off the page).
> >
> Don't you have to run apache as root in order to get the
> Frontpage extensions to work? This is what i read in the docs --
> if there's another option, please let us know.

MS has finally gotten their head out of their ass and designed the extensions
so they aren't a screaming security breach (you don't need to run it as root
and you don't have to make all the files writable by the server daemon).
However, be aware that you'll probably have to hack on their install script
to make it work.  Also, you apparently need to install DES, replacing MD5 for
encryption.  Of course, this means your password files are invalid and you'd
need to chpasswd every account.