Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:04:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mark@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions? NT VS UNIX, NT SUCKS SOMETIMES

> >In the registry:
> >
> >My Computer\
> >	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
> >		SOFTWARE\
> >			Microsoft\
> >				Windows\
> >					CurrentVersion\
> >						RunServices
> >
> >Edit
> >	New -> String Value
> >		MyAgent		"C:\path_to_my-agent.exe"
> >
> >Will start a program each time the NT system starts.  It's a bit more
> >flexible than editing /etc/rc* on BSD.
>
> That's meant to be sarcastic, right? NT more flexible than BSD, in *any*
> way? I've used UNIX, Netware and NT. I don't think the latter can really
> claim to be a NOS. Probably forget the N there as well.

In BSD, I can add service A by appending to /etc/rc.local during
install.

I can then add service B by doing the same thing.

Now I want to deinstall service A... I am screwed because:

1)	I can't stop the service by name unless it's exactly one
	process, or I do a whole lot of work that has to be
	duplicated over and over for each package because the
	support infrastructure is non-existent.

2)	I can't automatically hack the file, because I may not
	have tagged the file in such a way that it's editable, and
	since we allow users to hack the file as well as allowing
	install scripts to hack the file, we can never be sure that
	we would be removing the right thing anyway.

3)	I can't automatically start the service in the same way that
	I would start the service on system initialization without
	a reboot, because the start "script" is now homogenized into
	the rc.local and forever unuasable on a per item basis.

Conclusion: the rc file crap is just that, crap, regardless of our
historical love affair with it as being "the BSD way".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.