Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 17:34:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      David Michaels <rooth@dimensional.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound/Audio problems.

I am presently running FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE, which I recently upgraded to
from FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE.  My kernel configuration file can be seen at
http://www.dimensional.com/~rooth/kernel-config

Audio IS working, and for the first time ever, the sbmidi0 driver is
working.  I have a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold in the machine.  It worked fine
in 2.2.6.  Presently, it seems to work okay, but

The problem is:

Interrupting a playing audio file (*.au) results in a looping of the last
block of audio that was in the buffer (which seems to be subject to a
maximum of about 5 seconds).  Example:

% cat mansong.au > /dev/audio
[play play play] ^C
% [card continues to play the last 5 seconds or so over and over and over]

This looping can be broken by playing another audio file (same or
different) to the card, and letting it play to completion.

Any ideas how to fix this?  Here's some relevant information from the
bootup messages (extracted from dmesg)

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbxvi0 at ? drq 5 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
awe0 at 0x620 on isa
AWE32: not detected

--
 Dave Michaels, Raytheon, Unix SA  |   "I wonder what news is doing..."
   dmichael@redwood.dn.hac.com     | news@newshost <29> ps -fu news