Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 21:31:16 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        "Chris H." <fbsd@1command.com>
Cc:        "\[FBSDS\]" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading question (issue?) - was:(no subject)

Chris H. wrote:
> Quoting "Chris H." <fbsd@1command.com>:
>
> Hello,
> I have a question as to accomplishing an upgrade of *only* what ports I
> already have installed. That is to say; I somewhat frequently suck down
> the latest source for system and ports for the release I run on my
> servers
> (RELENG_5_4 - soon to be 5_5) and usually rebuildworld/ kernel, and
> *painfully*
> the ports I already have installed. Which brings me to my issue; Is there
> any way to rebuild (upgrade) the ports I already have installed, and
> *only*
> the ports I already have installed? I have recently discovered
> portmaster.
> Which is heads-and-tails over portupgrade. But (from my personal
> knowlede/
> experience) it doesn't provide a "one shot" command/ option to achieve my
> desired goal. Many times while upgrading one of the ports, it will fail
> during installation with the "HEY! this port is already installed! You
> may
> wish to cd to the ports directory and execute port deinstall, then port
> reinstall" What?! I'm *upgrading* (or at least trying) this port. :\
>
> Anyway, thank you for all your time and consideration.
>
> --Chris H.

Hi Chris,

Does portupgrade -a not work for you?

Actually, I've been thinking maybe the better way to accomplish
this goal is:

Read /usr/ports/UPDATING
pkgdb -F
script pre-update-all
portupgrade -an
exit
Read pre-update-all and fix potential conflicts
script update-all
portupgrade -aFR
portupgrade -a
exit
Read update-all for special instructions that went by during upgrade.

As for the problem with a port utility telling you to deinstall a previous
version,  I've run into this as well.  The problem is that the upgrade tools
upgrade versions of the same application.  They can't upgrade across
different
editions of a port.  As an example, Apache 1.35 to Apache 2.2.  Ports
treat them
as different applications.  I think all the port utilities do this.

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty
--
duane@greenmeadow.ca