Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:36:13 -0800
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd problem

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 09:49:36PM -0800, Dale Morris wrote:
> Here's what I've done so far..
> in etc/rc.conf entered a line.. lpd_enable="YES"

That should be all you need ...

> created a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d called lpd.sh containing:
> [ -x /usr/sbin/lpd] && /usr/sbin/lpd && echo -n " lpd"
>
> chmod +x lpd.sh

You shouldn't need that.

> Of course if I issue the command "whereis lpd" the following is returned:
> lpd: /usr/share/man/man8/lpd.8.gz /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpd

Try locate.  Locate is fantastic.

> When I go from single to multi-user I get an error message that
> /usr/sbin/lpd can't be found (or something to that effect). Looking in
> /usr/sbin/ there is only lptcontrol and lptest there.

For some wacky reason, lpd is missing from /usr/sbin.  Fortunately, you
have the source sitting there to build and install lpd.  Why not give
this a shot:

cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpd
make install

Then you'll have lpd installed, at least.  You ought to be able to start
it then. :)

-danny