Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:04:05 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        Andriy Babiy <ABabiy@shaw.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Response "Fwd: failure notice"

--Apple-Mail-3--250524125
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Apr 28, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Andriy Babiy wrote:

> On every message, sent to the list, I receive a strange response
> with the
> subject line: "Fwd: failure notice".

This is because (at least) one member of the list,
kugua065315@163.com, has an address behind a broken MTA.

If the email system for that delivery worked, then the bounce
message  would go to

   owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

instead of to the person who posted the message.

People behind mail systems like those should never, ever be allowed
near Internet email discussion groups.  I haven't seen a mail system
that broken for a long time.  Typically it is because the mail goes
through some kind of gateway that fails to preserve the "envelope
from" address.

It would be nice if the list manager for this list could trace down
which subscribed address is causing the problem (not always an easy
thing to do) and ban them from the list.

A more common problem is the list subscriber who has a badly
configured auto responder set up.  I have a rant about those at

   http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/auto-resp/

Cheers,

--Apple-Mail-3--250524125--