Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:45:11 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Marvin E. Harris" <internal@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem With pthread references in libxml2

--=-pWi9osn6tdx/6a7/9/Bc

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 09:57, Marvin E. Harris wrote:
> I am having an issue with the libxml2 port, regarding loading of php4 in =
apache2.  I cvsup'ed last night (2/29/04) about 10 PM CST to make sure I ha=
d the latest port meta data.  I am running 4-STABLE, recompiled about one m=
onth ago.  I use the CFLAGS options -O -pipe which is fairly standard.
> =20
> Basically, when I try to load mod_php4 in apache, I get an error that sym=
bol "pthread_foo" where pthread_foo is one of the many pthread calls is not=
 resolved for libxml2.  I have carefully recompiled and made sure that the =
pthread references are turned off in the make file.  However, the configure=
 file still looks for pthreads.  I can manually run configure and have libx=
ml2 compile without pthread support, but if I use the make file with no spe=
cial defines, I always get the pthread support.
> =20
> One other oddity.  I no longer get the options screen when compiling libx=
ml2 port.  I tried several other ports that have OPTION settings and the op=
tions selection form opens properly, only the libxml2 port (to my knowledge=
) is not displaying the options screen.
> =20
> After compiling libxml2 from ports using no special options, a quick chec=
k with the command ld libxml2.so.5 shows lots of pthread references.
> =20
> Any ideas, other than doing a make configure and then manually executing =
configure?=20
> =20
> I apologize for writing you directly, but I wasn't able to find anything =
in "questions" that answered this problem.

Rebuild libxml2 _without_ thread support.  This is sort of an
unsupported option.  It works for most of the GNOME cases, but will
causes non-threaded applications (like php) to break.  Note: thread
support is not enabled by default.

Joe