Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2012 13:20:15 +0200
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to recover from theis ZFS error?

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 19:13:13 +0200, Dennis Glatting <dg@pki2.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-09-29 at 16:41 +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:35:15AM -0700, Dennis Glatting wrote:
>> >
>> > One of my pools (disk-1) with 12T of data is reporting this error
>> after a
>> > scrub. Is there a way to fix this error without backing up and
>> restoring
>> > 12T of data?
>> >

>> > errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>> >
>> >          <metadata>:<0x0>
>> >          disk-1:<0x0>
>>
>> Can you paste entire 'zpool status -v' output after scrub?
>>

> THis is the output from a new scrub. It is the second scrub against that
> data set. The errors that remained after the first scrub (above) have
> vanished. I'm a little confused although I often run multiple fsck
> against volumes before entering multi-user mode.
>
> That said, during this scrub the system froze twice requiring a reboot.
> This is now a common problem across my four AMD systems: one eight core
> x1 8150, one 16 core x1 6272, one 16 core x2 6274, and one 16 core x4
> 6274. (3x r241015M and 1x r241040).
>

> bd3# zpool status -v disk-1
>   pool: disk-1
>  state: ONLINE
>   scan: scrub repaired 0 in 30h18m with 0 errors on Wed Oct  3 09:44:29
> 2012
> config:
>
> 	NAME             STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	disk-1           ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  raidz2-0       ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da0          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da1          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da13         ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da2          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da3          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da4          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da5          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da8          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da9          ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da10         ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da11         ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	logs
> 	  gpt/zil-disk1  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	cache
> 	  ada0           ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors

It is a guess, but maybe you deleted the last snapshot which referenced
the blocks with the errors, so now the FS is clean as far as scrub knows.
Or rereading the blocks did not give errors this time for some reason.

NB: I see similar errors sometimes on my 320GB external USB-disk after I
accidentally disconnected the USB cable while running. ;-)

Ronald.