Date:      08 Feb 1999 00:34:40 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with sending a PR

Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com> writes:
> Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make sendmail send my mail
> (you'll notice from the header that I sent this message with Netscape).
> I've looked at the manpage, the handbook, FAQ, and The Book but they
> haven't really helped, they seem more to do with receiving mail. Is
> there a good guide to setting up sendmail to _send_ mail using a dial-up
> connection? Something like the mutt manual
> (/usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.html)?

It's trivial. Assuming sendmail is installed (make world will do this
unless you disable it in /etc/make.conf), just hit "send" and sendmail
does the rest.

You might want to create a /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup which looks like this:

MYADDR:
 add! default HISADDR
 bg sendmail -q

(you probably already have the 'add! default HISADDR' there)

This will force sendmail to process the mail queue when you connect to
your ISP (so you can compose mail offline, then the next time you
connect all the mail you've queued up will be sent)

You might also want to run sendmail in the background (rc.network
starts it unless you've disabled it in rc.conf) so that it regularly
tries to send mail that it wasn't able to deliver on the first
attempt.

> One last thing. I still haven't learned all the keystrokes in mutt yet
> and sometimes use the wrong one, e.g. ``f'' to move to the next page (as
> in vi). However as this means ``forward'' I get a ``To: '' prompt. How
> do I cancel it? ESC and Ctrl-D don't work, Ctrl-C does but asks ``Exit
> mutt?'' with ``y'' as the default answer. What is the correct key to
> cancel a command?

Dunno, I don't use mutt, I use Gnus :)

DES
--