Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:18:31 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extremely large (70TB) File system/server planning

>While talking to a friend about what his company is planning to do,
>I found out that he is planning a 70TB filesystem/servers/cluster/db.
>(Yes, seventy t-e-r-a-b-y-t-e...)

   We could do this using about 44 of the not-yet-announced TSR-3100 fibre
channel RAID storage systems. These are 1.8TB (1.62TB usable) capacity units
in a 3U cabinet. It would take around 200A @ 120VAC (about 18KW) to power all
of them and should fit in about 5 rack cabinets. Total cost would be about
$3 million.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.