Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:39:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      burningclown@burningclown.com
To:        Frank Heitmann <fh31415@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: there must be a better way

I'd like to add to this. I used Windows exclusively (with some sidetrips since
I was married to a rabid Mac user) from about 1994 to 1999, when I launched
into Slackware Linux (later other distros but I have since returned to
Slackware). I first tried FreeBSD around late 2000 or so, and have never been
sorry.

The great difference in my experience has been that, while I may have
encountered some hills and challenges in my use/adoption of Linux and FreeBSD,
using them taught me a great deal about computers and the way they work.
Indeed, these systems actively encourage learning ... and I have always agreed
with ol' Aristotle that "to learn gives the liveliest pleasure."

Windows, on the other hand, never taught me anything but the occasional
frustration of crashes and system hogging. I recognize the fact that it can do
its job of giving the user a pretty good desktop. But the system did not
encourage me to poke into its guts, because those guts were proprietary and
closed. For me (and I fully recognize that experiences differ) Linux and
FreeBSD made computing fun, and opened its possibilities in a way that Windows
never did. But I don't think it was intended to do that.

Best,

Glenn Becker