Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:47:46 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News server panics (revisited)

On Feb 6,  9:03, Guy Helmer wrote:
} On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Guy Helmer wrote:
}
} > My news server has panic'ed twice now in the past two weeks with
} > "ffs_alloccg: map corrupted"  errors.  Does this panic indicate anything
} > in particular?  I've double-fsck'ed all of the partitions after the last
} > crash, and the second fsck was clean on each partition.
}
} Taking another tack at the question:  could these crashes be the result of
} having two PCI SCSI controllers in a fairly old (Oct 1994) 486DX2-66 PCI
} GW2K?  Perhaps the PCI SCSI controllers are hogging the PCI bus and not
} giving the PCI IDE disk controller enough bandwidth?  The system is
} crashing only during expires.  INN was built with ACT_STYLE READ.

Is this a Saturn based motherboard ?

If yes: There might have still been first generation Saturn
chip sets been used, which had a few bugs if used with PCI
write buffers and burst mode.

The Saturn II (== rev. 4) i sknown to work reliably ...

I've had other reports of stability problems before, and the
system worked flawless after switching off PCI burst mode in
the PCI BIOS setup. The failures occur only under high load,
as seems to be the case for you, too.

Send VERBOSE boot messages if you are not siure about the
chip set in your system, and I'll try to identify it and let
you know whether it is known buggy ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160