Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 2020 16:13:47 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   DISTDIR name collision...

I just discovered that we have a variable name colission between the
FreeBSD base repo, and the ports tree.  DISTDIR is used by the ports
repo for:
# DISTDIR           - Where to search for and store copies of original sources

But DISTDIR is also used by FreeBSD base for (from bsd.own.mk):
# DISTDIR       Change the tree where the file for a distribution
#               gets installed (see /usr/src/release/Makefile). [not set]

except that it doesn't just get used in release/Makefile, it's used in
the base Makefile.inc1 for a number of things that I'm not entirely sure
what it's for.

Can someone figure out what we should do in this case?

This was discovered because ezjail-admin sets DISTDIR for ports, but it
was breaking my -DNO_ROOT installworld by putting the METALOG in an
incorrectly documented place (since fixed)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579