Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:03:47 -0600
From:      Greg Cook <freebsd@vnews.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: cable modem gateway w/ freebsd

[Greg Cook] =20
I use a Cox cable modem here (its under Linux), You must set up the =
masquerading on which ever box is hooked to the cable box to take your =
private IP's and forward&&masquerade on the outgoing nic. I have a =
script here for Linux's firewall and masquerading I would be happy to =
forward if your cable modem is or can be set on the Linux box. It is =
2.0.xx based ipfwadm vs ipchains in 2.2.x.

--> Actually I'm not too sure what I'm running (how do I check?) but I =
must have *some* sort of IP masquerading running, since this setup =
(using 10.0.0.0 locally but accessing the internet through the bsd =
gateway) was the exact same one that I used when I had the bsd box as a =
normal modem gateway.  The only difference now is that it's two NICs =
(one to the internal network and one to the cable modem) rather than a =
single NIC (to the internal network) and a phone modem (ppp via tun0).
-->=20