Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:59:15 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless Networking Bug(s) in 9.1-RC2 (?)

In message <CAN6yY1sxo=YH1CALp-sKDtjyDfC5LZjxN0yEBWKNQFvprdi06A@mail.gmail.com>
, you wrote:

>I wrote:
>> P.S.  Actually, I've never tried running _both_ the wired & wireless stuff
>> on this laptop in parallel before now.  Is that part of the problem?  And
>> anyway, how exactly does the system establish a default route to 192.168.1.1
>> when there are two (or more) ways to get there from here?
>I don't see any real issue with your configuration, but I do see
>something odd and it may be tied to the problem you are seeing. FWIW,
>I also have an agn iwn card, but I only have a G access point at this
>time and it runs fine in G.

Yes, as I mentioned, when I was running 9.0-RELEASE, my iwn0 was talking
just fine to my Linksys.  (That was mostly `N', but I think that I may have
had the two playing nice together with `G' also.)

>The oddity is that you specify your ssid in the rc.conf file while
>using WPA. I've never seen that before.

Well, see, the instructions on this page:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

are not really all that clear.  Some of the examples have the ssid clause
in the ifconfig_XXX= lines in the rc.conf file, while others don't.  One
example that I would have liked very much to have seen in there would have
been an example showing what to put in rc.conf in the case where one wants
to do WPA, but with static IPs, rather than DHCP.

The closest thing to that is under Section 32.3.3.1.2.4, and in the example
there, as you can see, there is an ssid clause in the ifconfig_wlan0= line.
(I assumed that was necessary in case there were multiple ssid/password pairs
within the wpa_supplicant.conf file, and obviously, in such a case, set up
of the interface has to pick one of them from among the available alternatives.)

What is correct?  Beats the hell out of me!  I am not in any sense an expert
of this stuff.  All I can say is that the examples on this page are confusing.

>It's in my wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Yes, I have the ssid name in there too.

>It seems more reasonable for a laptop that may need to associate
>with a home and a work SSID as well as ones at conferences and...

Well, no.  Actually, at the moment, I *only* have an interest in connecting
to my own local Linksys... nothing else.  (That part of why I'm using a
static IP... this is effectively just a static connection... minus the
wires and the drilling of holes through the walls.)

>in any case, you might try moving the SID into the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

That kinda remind me of that old Ragu spagetti sauce TV commercial... "It's
in there!" :-)

>but my bet is it is N specific.

I doubt it.  I think I had the same questionable setup when I was running `G'
on 9.0-RELEASE.

But I would like to find out what the Right Answer is also.

>Paging Adrian.

Yes, please.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  What about my routing question?  If I have one machine and it has
two independent connections to 192.168.1.1 and the rc.conf file says:

   defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

then how does FreeBSD decide (or figure out) which of the two interfaces
packets going to some random IPv4 address elsewhere will flow out of?

For me at least, this is really puzzling.