Date:      12 Apr 99 11:48:48 NZST
From:      David Ferry <lamester@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Finally a kernel discussion, yay!

> =

> Oh, well... Let's discuss about kernel. 8)
> =

> Actually I don't know which is the best version to start experiments =

> with... =

> =

> The 3.1 version could be a good candidate, but I have seen a 4.0 versio=
n =

> in the -current tree...
> =

I'm not fussed. In fact I don't care. By the time we have this going it w=
on't
matter.

I haven't had any luck getting a cross compiler on x86 generate sparc-64 =
code.
Has anyone done this or are you all using netbsd or something.
I was using gcc-2.7.2.3 and was getting definition disagrees with previou=
definition for sizet or something (64 bit int I think).

Basically what the first step should be is to set up the mmu so that it u=
ses
the same mappings as the alpha is suspect. =

When we hacked linux to the sun 3/80 we just set up the mmu for 3 level p=
age
tables, with 4k pages. We then made a putc function that called the proms=

putchar function and you get some things happening.

On ultra IIi we can only have 8k pages as the smallest. I take it that th=
is is
because of the 44 bit virtual address space.

I still do not have an ultra but am working on it.

-Dave

lamester@netscape.net