Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:08:24 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: inherited mountpoints with root filesystem

--xSu31lw3TgkWXnjh

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:29:47AM -0500, Barry Pederson wrote:
> I've been fooling with using ZFS for the root filesystem, and a CompactFl=
ash device to hold a UFS /boot  -  It seems to work very well, CF devices a=
re big enough that you=20
> can put a pretty full install of FreeBSD on it which is nice for recovery=
/maintenance work on the real disk.
>=20
> One problem I've noticed though is that there's a difference between the =
mountpoint of a pool's root filesystem that FreeBSD sees and what ZFS sees.=
  For example, the=20
> "mount" command shows"
>=20
> 	tank on / (zfs, local)
>=20
> but "zfs list" shows:
>=20
> 	NAME      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> 	tank     1.98G  16.4G  16.7M  /tank
>=20
> I'm finding that having the "tank" filesystem be "/" and "/tank" simultan=
eously makes it awkward when creating sub-filesystems, say for example "tan=
k/usr" and "tank/var".
>=20
> Currently, they inherit the "/tank" mountpoint, and show up as "/tank/usr=
" and "/tank/var" - where I'd like them to inherit "/" and end up as "/usr"=
 and "/var".
>=20
> For now, I've worked around this with symlinks in the "tank" filesystem l=
ike: usr -> tank/usr , but the problem is that when mounting the CompactFla=
sh as root and importing=20
> "tank", it complains that it can't mount "tank/usr" (because the symlink =
is in the way).
>=20
> I've also tried explicity setting the mountpoint for "tank/usr" to "/usr"=
, which is fine except again for when the CF is used as root, which would t=
hen conflict with the CF=20
> filesystem's "/usr"
>=20
> Is this double-mountpoint setup the way things should be?  If so, is/can =
there be an option to have the ZFS-mountpoint for a root-mounted filesystem=
 also be "/", so that=20
> inherited mountpoints for sub-filesystems are under "/" instead of "/<poo=
l-name>"?

For file systems that are mounted not via 'zfs mount -a' (eg. they are
mounted by hand or via /etc/fstab), you should set mountpoint property
to 'legacy'.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--xSu31lw3TgkWXnjh