Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:04:17 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Cc:        Michael Haro <perl@netmug.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security problem with FreeBSD 2.2.1 default installation

In message <Pine.HPP.3.96.970603101840.16150E-100000@sunfire.cs.iastate.edu> Guy Helmer writes:
: See the CERT Advisory CA-97.17 (sperl) for this problem at
:
: ftp://info.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-97.17.sperl
:
: dated May 29, 1997.  It would not have been known at the time FreeBSD
: 2.2.1 (or 2.2.2, for that matter) was released.

This bug was fixed in the sources of 2.2 2.1 and -current on May 20,
after the 2.2.2 release.  Since Perl 4 is way way way unsupported by
the Perl community, I just patched the exploit that caused the program
I was using to get root.  I didn't audit all of Perl 4 to make sure it
was cool.  Since perl 5 seems to be moving into the source tree, this
may become a non-issue.

Guy's advise is excellent:  Disable sperl unless you have a specific
need for it.

Warner