Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:22:09 -0500
From:      Dwayne MacKinnon <Dwayne.MacKinnon@xwave.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Remote upgrade of 4.X-5.3-Stable

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with upgrading 4.X to 5.3-STABLE. The challenge
I've been given is that the box to be upgraded is physically
inaccessible and so there's no console access. All I have to work with
is ssh and scp.

In our lab I built a box to 5.3-STABLE. I then used the /usr/obj
directories from that build to start a "remote" upgrade on another lab box.

Things have gone reasonably well. I was able to successfully make
installworld using a rc.d script even though it reboots into multi-user
mode after installing the kernel.

The problem is that rc.conf isn't getting sourced properly after the
installworld. I figure that something more is needed with mergemaster. I
run mergemaster -ia through my rc.d script, but that's apparently
insufficient.

So what I'm wondering is this: What do I need in place to make sure that
networking will come up and sshd will start after upgrading 4.X to 5.3?

Thanks,
DMK