Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:12:49 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mauricio <supremedalek@hotpop.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: In Search Of: libintl.so.4

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:52:45AM -0500, Mauricio wrote:
>         I am trying to install wget in this freebsd 5.1 box.  So, I=20
> downloaded ports.tar.gz off freebsd.org, untarred and unzipped it,=20
> and went to ports/ftp/wget.  I then typed "make" just to get the=20
> following error message during the configuration:
>=20
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.4" not found
>=20
> S, I asked the machine where this library could be hiding:
>=20
> daffy# find / -name libintl.so.4 -print
> /usr/ports/devel/gettext/work/gettext-0.11.5/intl/.libs/libintl.so.4
> daffy#
>=20
> I am confused:  AFAIK, wget wants gettext-0.12.1, which I did install=20
> earlier yesterday.  So, why does it still want the earlier version?

This is a FAQ.  When you installed gmake(1) it was linked against the
version of libintl.so you had available at the time, which was
libintl.so.4.

Then later on, you updated the devel/gettext port, which replaced
libintl.so.4 with libintl.so.5 -- unless you've saved a copy of
libintl.so.4 somewhere[1] all of the ports you have installed which
link against libintl.so.4 will now fail to run correctly.
Unfortunately, loads of things depend on devel/gettext, and the ABI
version number on libintl.so gets bumped fairly often.

In order to fix the problem you need to rebuild all of the ports that
depend on devel/gettext, which you can do by:

    # portupgrade -fr devel/gettext

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[1] portupgrade(1) saves a copy in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg unless
you use the '-u' flag.

--=20
                                                      Savill Way

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+