Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:18:57 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   9.x -- New Install -- serious partition misalignment

My apologies if this is not the Right Place to raise this issue.

I just now submitted the following PR:

(Please ignore the small typo in the title.  That should have been
"bsdinstall/partedit" not "basinstall/partedit".)

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone here has an opinion that (a) I am
crazy, and ought to remain silent or else (b) there is something obvious
that I missed or else (c) the problem described in the PR really is a
horribly serious issue which is likely to screw up quite a lot of
people/installations.

If possibility (c) applies, then I would also like to know if anybody has
any suggestions for how I might be able to get this problem escalated
so that (hopefully) it gets dealt with before 9.1-RELEASE is finalized.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  As noted in the PR, while doing a fresh install, if one selects
the "Shell" method of partitioning, one is given a rather terse and
cryptic instruction to "mount the system at /mnt" (after all of the
manual partitioning has been done), but I have no idea how to do this
properly, and thus, I have only two options... I can either (a) live
without 9.x entirely (and also without support for my shiny new USB 3.0
port card) or else (b) I can accept the horrendous performance penality
that is likely to ensue when I allow "partedit" to place my requested
partitions at badly mis-aligned locations on my new "Advanced Format"
hard disk.

Neither possibility is particularly appealing.