Date:      11 Dec 2002 00:24:27 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A note on why portupgrade is a good thing

--=-2/a5j63ojoDBP4Vggf1N

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 07:21, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Just a reminder that portupgrade is really the only way to go when
> upgrading GNOME components.  And pkgdb -F is your friend when weeding
> out problems in the ports tree.

It's also the only way to go, if you're doing a source upgrade from 4.7
to FreeBSD 5.0-current as the system compiler has changed to gcc3 as
well as other base includes which are going to break a lot of apps, as
soon as you upgrade some port which a lot of other apps depend on.

portupgrade -Rrf '*gnome*'=20

Helped me rebuild my gnome2 desktop without losing any sleep :)

It's the only way I know to make sure that every dependency has been
recompiled with gcc3 under FreeBSD 5 so that it all works ok.

--=20
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>

--=-2/a5j63ojoDBP4Vggf1N

--=-2/a5j63ojoDBP4Vggf1N--