Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:37:46 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: cannot mount root

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> You want /dev/wd0s1a for the above case, I guess.

Still doesn't work right.  Here is a more detailed version
of what I am seeing.

changing root device to wd0s2a
Filesytem mount failed, startup aborted.
# /sbin/mount /dev/wd0s1 /
/dev/wd0s1 on /: Specified device does not match mounted device.
# /sbin/mount /dev/wd0s1a /
/dev/wd0s1a on /: No such file or directory
# /sbin/mount /dev/wd0s1 /mnt
WARNING: R/W mount of / denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck.
/dev/wd0s1 on /mnt: Operation not permitted
#

Yet if I revert to an older kernel everything works
fine.  And yes the root_device is clean so running
fsck is not required with this older kernel.

Steve