Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:54:12 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: panic: non-current pmap on RPI3 on CURRENT (GENERIC) #4 r356366

On 2020-Jun-28, at 18:11, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 05:21:33PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>> On 2020-Jun-28, at 12:50, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'll  update OS sources and try again, if somebody can tell me
>>> how to capture more useful information I'll try that.
>>
>> Do you have your system set up to allow it to
>> dump to the swap/paging space for panics and
>> then to put a copy in the /var/crash/ area during
>> the next boot? Konstantin B. was asking for
>> information from such a dump.
>>
> Ahh, that might be a little beyond my skill level....
> The system is basically default -current, no kernel
> options. In fact, I'm no longer sure where to put them
> when using buildkernel.

Actually, head (i.e, current) by default builds a debug
kernel. stable and release do not.

(My builds usually have the debug disabled, but I
explicitly cause that.)

>> Note: A dump can be requested at the db> prompt
>> by typing a "dump" command at the prompt, if you
>> have set up to have a dump target identified,
>> usually a swap/paging partition. If it works, the
>> next boot would take some time putting material
>> into /var/crash.
>>
> I'll try next time it happens. Looks like the system
> defaults turn on dumpdev and savecore.

Your swap partition where dumpdev points needs to
be big enough. From past experience, your likely
are.

>> Do you have devel/gdb installed? It supplies a
>> /usr/local/bin/kgdb for looking at such vmcore.*
>> files.
>
> Not yet.

These days head based builds do not provide their
own kgdb support. It can be a good idea to have
devel/gdb installed even if you do not normally
use it. It gets messy if something goes wrong
such that building and installing devel/gdb ends
up then being a difficulty after the fact.

>> It is important that the kernel debug information
>> still match the vmcore as I understand, even if
>> that means needing to boot a different,
>> sufficiently-working kernel that does not match the
>> debug information in order to get the /var/crash
>> materials in place and to inspect them.
>>
>> I'm not sure you could do as Konstantin requested
>> based on a non-debug kernel build done the usual
>> way, even with debug information present.
>>
> One step at a time..... 8-)

Looks like you have a debug kernel build, likely with
the debug information. And your problem does not
prevent you from booting the same kernel that panicked
and using the system after that.

>> Are you using a non-debug kernel? A debug-kernel?
>
> The embarrasing truth is I don't know. Whatever is
> default in -current for the Pi3.

Debug-kernel.

>> You might need to try reproducing with a debug
>> kernel. (But that likely will make builds
>> take longer.)
>>
> Any sense of how much longer?  A chromium build,
> when it worked, took a week.

You have already seen the time frames because
you have been using the debug kernel.

If you have noticed stable being faster then
head, the kernel being non-debug for stable
by default vs. debug for head by default is
likely part of the issue. Witness checks,
asserts, etc. take extra time.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com