Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 20:45:54 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Eric@FreeBSD.ORG, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppbus causes hangs?

> On Apr 29,  7:41pm, Mike Smith wrote:
> } Subject: Re: ppbus causes hangs?
> }
> } Try setting the flags on the 'ppc' device to 0x40 and _please_ report
> } the results.
>
> I also ran into this problem with a 4/30/1999 version of 3.1-stable
> on a Dell Dimension XPS R400.  The 0x40 flag fixed the problem.

I had the same problem on a Motorola CPV5000 Compact-PCI system board.  I
had to disable the parallel port in the BIOS setup to be able to install
FreeBSD on it, or boot kernels with the 'ppc' device configured.  SInce
adding the flag, this all seems to be better now.

This is with a 4.0-current based system as of early March.  Petium MMX
at 233MHz with an 'HX' chipset.  More details upon request.

louie