Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:46:05 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup-mirror rewrite

First, thanks replying and sharing your opinion.

> I'd expect more work on customizing update.sh to allow it's
> configuration to come from /etc/rc.conf or some other place not touched
> during upgrades.  As jdp stated, an upgrade is not easy right now.

Yes, this is indeed a great goal.  The configuration variables would
roughly use the config.sh ones and a another one which specifies where
"bookkeeping files" are stored (which is /var/db for the base system).

> This would break the (weak) assumption that a port is fully under
> ${DESTDIR}.  There are already some ports that do this, including some
> I've made myself, but it's not something I'm proud of.   ;-)
>
> Off course, a configurable update.sh would allow anybody chose where to
> put it, but I would rather not make the default be outside ${DESTDIR}.

I understand your point of view but there is no var/ directory under
${DESTDIR}.  It's also worth noting that usually logs from Apache or
Postfix - which are installed from ports - are stored in /var/log and
not in ${DESTDIR}/var/log.  Furthermore, I can't think of any directory
under ${DESTDIR} which would achieve the same purposes as /var/db.
IMHO ${DESTDIR}/etc/cvsup is definitely not an option, according to
hier(7).

However, I would be glad to adopt any proposition which succeeds in
merging benefits of both solutions without the drawbacks :-).

> I don't know if this is possible, but my wishlist includes some change
> to avoid using symbolic links on the prefixes/ subdir and instead list
> the prefixes in a text file, where it could be safely saved in a CVS repo.

That's a quite pleasant idea.

> With this and above changes a upgrade would be simply a matter of
> changing the scripts and keeping the site config files.

I'm wondering if it's better to keep backward compatibility and thus
avoid all changes concerning the files storage location discussed above,
or simply to fork cvs-mirror (and call it "cvsup-hubs" for example) to
be able to be more hier(7) compliant.  It seems indeed that changing
files location in cvsup-mirror is not an option since there would be no
way to do a proper upgrade.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen