Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:12:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Mark Felder wrote:

> Why is everyone so afraid of running -STABLE? Plenty of stuff gets MFC'd.
> Yeah, I agree -- running -RELEASE is difficult. Hell, it's frustrating to us
> that VMWare only supports -RELEASE and it took until ESX 5 to officially
> support 8.2!
>
> More releases / snapshots of -STABLE helps people on physical servers, but
> anyone who runs VMs on Xen or VMWare won't get any support for those versions
> because they didn't go through the QA process yet. FreeBSD is increasingly
> becoming a third world citizen thanks to virtualization efforts being focused
> on Linux, so I feel that more frequent releases won't help as many people as
> you think.

Again, I'm not suggesting more snapshots - I am suggesting more real, bona
fide releases.  This will help people.

The fact that vmware only works with release software is consistent with
my own assertions.  They (we) don't care what fancy toolchain and build
environments you have - we need things that we can defend to customers,
stockholders, judges, juries, etc.