Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:59:57 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "chaz&diane goodsell" <sundown@ezol.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Easy way to Adjust amount of RAM

[ Please do not use HTML in mailing list posts! ]

I am trying to fumble through my first successful install of FreeBSD 4.0. I
am installing the OS on a Compaq 2500, with 5 "4.3 GiG HDD"  320MG of RAM
and dual processors. I'm not ready to tackle the SMP yet. I am disappointed
with the fact that BSD is only seeing 16MG of RAM. Is there an easy way to
adjust this setting? All the documentation I have seen references MAXMEM. I
was hoping there is a control file that could be edited VS recompiling the
Kernel.

--

The long and short of it is that you will have to build a custom kernel.
For details, see http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Due to BIOS limitations, FreeBSD will only detect at most 16MB or 64MB of
RAM.  Since you've got more than that, you will have to add the MAXMEM
parameter to your kernel configuration.  (See the LINT configuration file
for an example.)

As for SMP, simply add 'options SMP' and 'options APIC_IO' to your kernel
config.

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services