Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 23:33:08 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Taro Ikai" <ikait@rcn.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var short of disk space because of /var/pkg/db

On Thursday 07 February 2002 10:39 am, Taro Ikai wrote:
> My /var partition got full.
>
> I had the FreeBSD installer automatically allocate partitions, and
> as a result, my /var partition is less than 20MB in size.
>
> Recently I started using portupgrade, and the program fattened
> the files under /var/pkg/db.
>
> Question:
>
> 1) Can I temporarily delete /var/pkg/db/*? Can I then safely
> remake the content of this directory using portsdb?
>
> 2) Can I make the system use space under /usr instead of
> /var/pkg/db?

Sure.  Just

mkdir /usr/pkg
mv /var/pkg /usr
ln -s /usr/pkg /var

voila!  Your package info lives under /usr (or anyplace else you want it).

Or you can put just the database itself under /usr; I find it more
elegant/understandable to move entire directories in cases like this, but
that's up to you.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org