Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:27:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Dr J.A.C. Stenton" <jacs@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-Stable Hangs while booting GENERIC Kernel

:I've just updated my 4.3-stable machine to 4.4-STABLE today. I have done a
:complete
:
:
:make buildworld
:make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
:make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
:shutdown
:make installworld
:mergemaster
:reboot
:
:When it reboots it hangs after giving out the message
:
:ppi0:<Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
:
:
:Now at this stage I would expect it to come up with "waiting for SCSI
:devices to settle". I am using an ASUS P2B-S with onboard SCSI.
:
:
:Any  ideas or what I should do to get more diagnostic info. (Nothing has
:been written to any log files)
:
:I can reboot the system with the old kernel which I made about 3 months
:ago.
:
:Chris

    If you could compile up a custom kernel with the following options:

    options         DDB

    And then when it hangs try doing a CTL-ALT-ESC.  If you get the ddb>
    prompt, do a 'trace'.

						-Matt