Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 11:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old Ports

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> I've noticed a couple of older ports missing from the ports collection of
> the 2.2.6 CDROM, namely xgopher (been gone for a while now) and buffer.
> I can see why xgopher was deleted but I don't understand why the buffer
> port was deleted -- I personally find it a useful application and have been
> using it on FreeBSD and non-FreeBSD systems for 2-3 years.
>
> What is the criteria for a port to be removed from the collection?  (If
> the answer is that the original buffer port maintainer doesn't want to
> do it, I'd be willing to recreate the buffer port and maintain it).

copying from the cvs log,

Remove buffer. This port no longer fetches, and team is better.

Does buffer do something that team doesn't, and do you have a
distribution site for it?  I could resurrect the old port, but these
sound like pretty fair arguments.  Make a case.

> Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
> Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
> ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
> Government of BC

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).