Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 20:11:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Kirkpatrick <ben@guppy.pond.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stable vs. local changes at ISP

   Gotta couple questions that I couldn't seem to find answers to in the
mailing list archives...
   1) By using sup to update the src tree here, will I indanger some of
the local changes we've made? (i.e. des and 16char usernames)
   2) make world sometimes causes problems on a running system, possibly
updating libs before the appropriate binaries and rebuilding kernel. (i.e.
w, and who always act funny)
   3) Any comment on this idea:  We do system maint on sunday nights.
Would it be acceptable/safe to run sup and make the day before, and have
it actually install while in single-user mode?  How do you postpone the
install step?

Thank you,

--Ben Kirkpatrick (BK416); The Pond; Cascade Communications Group, Inc.
Voice:541-302-1295 Fax:541-302-1298 Pager:710-2544 Web: pond.net/~ben