Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:49:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf - Multiple Machines

Drew Tomlinson said:
> I'm trying to set up a build machine as described in section 21.5
> of the Handbook.  The directions say to use a common
> /etc/make.conf for all machines that will share binaries.  One of
> my machines is an i686 class CPU.  The other is an i585 CPU.  To
> what value should I set CPUTYPE. Default (nothing)? i586 as it's
> the lowest common denominator?  And is there any value in setting
> CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS after setting CPUTYPE to whatever I should
> set it?

I have a mix of 80486, PI, PII, PIII, and Athlon Thunderbirds on one
of my networks.  I use two kernels for all differentiated by board
architecture, ISA vs. PCI.  For the 80486's I use a kernel I call
ISA with cpu=I486_CPU and all the rest I use a kernel called PCI
with
I586_CPU and I686_CPU.

My make conf is identical across all machines...
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE= true
USA_RESIDENT= YES