Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:42:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sushanth Rai <sushanth_rai@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Generating NMI due to WDT expiry

Basically I would like to force system panic (and take kernel dump) when watchdog time expires. Assuming that timer expired due to some OS bug, kernel memory dump would be very useful. I'm running freebsd 7.2 on Intel IbexPeak chipset. According to specs, the watchdog timer on IbexPeak first generates an SMI and then resets the CPU. Since SMI is handled within the BIOS, is there a way to generate NMI from within BIOS SMI handler ? I see that kernel has support to either enter the debugger or force panic upon receipt of a NMI.

This is not necessarily a FreeBSD question, but would like to hear any thoughts/pointers.

Thanks,
Sushanth