Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:27:49 -0600
From:      mattb <mattb@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID + adaptec 2400A

Hello.

After our company has been harassed by the B.S.A. for the past year we
have decided to move nearly all of our file servers over to FreeBSD.  I
am having a problem with one machine.  The machine has an Adaptec 2400A
RAID card.  It has 6 maxtor 60 gig hard drives:
-4 designated as master to the adaptec  card.
-1 as primary master to the mother board (asus kv7).
-1 drive as master secondary with slave cdrom to the secondary on the
motherboard.

I used the SMOR utility to create a RAID 5 configuration and booted off
of the 4.7 mini iso.

The disc loads up and I can get to the  kernel configuration menu...7
conflicts.  I take care of the conflicts and the machine continues to
load the kernel.. loads up asr0 ok.
The machine then attempts to mount root from /dev/fd0c for some reason.
 When it can't mount  /dev/fd0c it drops into an mountroot> prompt and I
haven't been ableto get past this.

I've never had any problems such as this while installing FreeBSD.
 Apparantly the card IS supported as the asr0 device so if anyone has
BSD running on a machine with an Adaptec 2400A please explain the process.

Thanks,

Matt Bettinger