Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:20:23 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pius@ienet.com, terryl@ienet.com
Subject:   Re: adding SCSI drive to a live system

As pius@ienet.com wrote:

> Can one connect the drive to the SCSI bus and then probe all devices
> on the bus again? The -p option to the scsi(8) command claims to be
> able to do this, but the "super scsi" device mentioned in the man page
> doesn't seem to exist.

It does exist, provided you're configuring the `su' and `ssc'
pseudo-devices.  I was contemplating to add them by default in future
releases.

However, you don't need /dev/scsisuper if you've got at least one
device on any SCSI bus already configured at boot time.  (The `super'
device is only needed if all SCSI busses were empty at boot time.)
Say, your sd0 was already there when booting, so just do

	scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -r

Remember to always use the control devices for this kind of stuff;
they are merely a hookup into the SCSI layers without actually
touching the device itself already at open() time.

NB: there's no method to un-probe some device right now.  But, i think
you can have more than one device configured at the same target ID.
Say, you've once had a direct-access device on ID 4, sd1.  Later on,
you disconnect this target, and add a sequential target at ID 4.  Run
a scsi -r, and you should be able to use it as (assume) st0.

--
cheers, J"org