Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:47:30 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 -> 4.3 upgrade

Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

> The UPDATING file in 4.3 suggests a slightly different order:
>
>    1)  Full backup (maybe several :->)
>
>    2)  Boot 4.3-RELEASE CDs and select "Upgrade" (kernel and binaries
> and source)

     Upgrading source is likely to fail, unless you rename/remove
any existing /usr/src.  For some reason, every time I upgrade FreeBSD
via the CDs, I have to rename/remove /usr/src; otherwise, the install
process complains and refuses to update it.

[ It's been a minor pain, as I always forget to do that.  Then I try to
  upgrade via the CDs, get the error message, reboot, rename /usr/src,
  and retry the upgrade.  Foo.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com