Date:      Fri, 29 May 2020 23:21:50 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd@cyclaero.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   BeagleBone AI

We are starting a new project of industrial device controllers. We want =
to utilize ARM-SBCs as unit controllers (and here a unit is one =
industrial device), and we need to attach at least 24 ADCs, 8 DACs and =
16 DIOs to each unit controller (UC). Many unit controllers (eventually =
tenths to hundreds) would then communicate by a custom protocol over =
ethernet with a command and control server. The UCs and the C&C server =
would be operated by FreeBSD. Direct interoperability of the UCs with =
3rd party IT systems is not a concern, integration needs to be done via =
the C&C server. =20

Since the sample/update rate requirements are quite low, we are going =
the I=C2=B2C path, and initial testing has been done using the =
BeagleBone Black. It got 2 separate I=C2=B2C 400 kbit/s busses which =
helps already, avoiding I=C2=B2C address conflicts. Yet, the 8 port I=C2=B2=
C switch TCA9548A is working very well, and we are now sure to be able =
to attach enough ADCs, DACs and DIOs to each unit controller.

Although the initial viability tests were done with a BeagleBone Black =
running FreeBSD 13-CURRENT, we could start with another more modern SBC.

First Question:

What modern SBC with more than 1 I=C2=B2C bus and which can run FreeBSD =
13++ would you suggest?

Now recently, I found the BeagleBone AI site https://beagleboard.org/ai/ =
<https://beagleboard.org/ai/>. This one got also 2 I=C2=B2C busses, and =
physically, with respect to a housing, it could be a 1:1 replacement for =
a BBB. It seems, this one is still too new for FreeBSD. I am very fond =
of the BB concept - for me it is much more appealing for industrial =
embedded applications than for example any RPI. However, the BBB came to =
age, and I would start a new project with it only, if there would be a =
reasonable chance for an upgrade path.

Two more Questions:

Is it reasonable to assume that FreeBSD would run on a BBAI in the =
future, let=E2=80=99s say in 2 to 3 years?

Perhaps I could help porting FreeBSD to a BBAI. What would be the =
general steps?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions, advices and clarifications.

Best regards

Rolf=