Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:12:04 -0600
From:      Greg Cook <freebsd@vnews.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   9 quick questions :) Somewhat Long [Thanks and one last question]

Thanks to all of the good (and I might correct) responses to my =
questions.

The only pending question is a reasonable explanation of slices? =
partitions and the weird technology discussed in vinum. I am currently =
running the ccd in stripping and would like to use a faster RAID 0 =
software implementation if there is one. Current transfer rates of =
3.1MB/sec is rather slow when I know this same machine was pushing =
4.1MB/sec non UDMA under Linux md RAID 0 service.

The device names I am gradually picking up on but what is the difference =
between
/dev/wd3c
/dev/wd1s1
etc.....

What is the pro cons of slices... I do not dual boot so I would assume =
one partition from FreeBSD would be my best solution.

P.S. is there any way to kill the 63 cylinder holdout during =
partitioning. Normally I would not bitch but it has managed to _save_ =
almost a gig of space I would love to use.

Greg Cook
Excited new FreeBSD user :)