Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 09:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/24695: [patch] pkg_info: prefix search for a package

The following reply was made to PR bin/24695; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: mavetju@chello.nl
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:44:49 +0200

 On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 05:51:36PM +0100, mavetju@chello.nl wrote:

 > >Number:         24695
 > >Category:       bin
 > >Synopsis:       [patch] pkg_info: prefix search for a package
 > >Originator:     Edwin Groothuis
 > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE i386
 > >Environment:
 >
 > 	pkg_install, HEAD tag
 > 	main.c: 1.27
 > 	pkg_info.1: 1.31
 > 	perform.c: 1.32

 > 	Sometimes I need to find the know the description or the
 > 	version of an installed package. Of course, pkg_info -a |
 > 	grep string works fine, but userfriendly? By adding the -F
 > 	option (fuzzy search), it will not check for the full name
 > 	of the package but use the given pkg-name as a prefix in
 > 	the package to search for.
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > 	[~] edwin@p6>pkg_info -F screen
 > 	Information for screen-3.9.5:
 >
 > 	Comment:
 > 	A multi-screen window manager
 > 	[...]

 Hmm..  I've been meaning to try and do something like this for a long
 time, but I haven't been able to find the time :)  Still, now that I've
 taken a look at code someone has actually written, there are a couple
 of comments.

 Shouldn't the FuzzySearch opendir/readdir logic be outside of the pkg_do()
 routine, and call pkg_do() once for every file it finds?  Currently you
 stop at the very first file you find, which might not be so good if
 multiple versions of a package are installed, or if the user deliberately
 tries to query several packages with a common prefix (e.g. mysql-client/
 mysql-server).

 Apart from that, it's great that you've actually taken the time and
 implemented this :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your brain.