Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:30:52 -0700
From:      freebsd@bitfreak.org
To:        Thomas Agersborg <ta@dencro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Server 2900 with the new Intel processor Woodcrest

Thomas Agersborg wrote:
> I want to purchase a Dell Server 2900 with these specifications
<...>
> Dual-Core 64-bit Intel Xeon processor 5160
<...>
> 4GB (4x1GB) 667MHz FBD memory (max 32GB)
<...>
> is there any issues which I need to
> be aware of in regard to the server and FreeBSD?

You'll want (need) to run amd64 instead of i386.  You can run i386, but
the 64-bit capabilities will go to waste.  You also won't get to use all
of your 4 GB of RAM due to memory-mapping of hardware I/O addresses.
The amd64 version does not have these problems.  All the major software
is now 64-bit clean, but you may have trouble with some desktop-type
software (mplayer) and other less-common ports.  Beyond that, all is
good--PowerEdge+FreeBSD is an excellent combination.  We even have IPMI
support!