Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 06:49:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michel Lavondes <fox@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI device probe slow/frozen, AHA2940U2W (LVD/SE side???)

Hi,

I'm trying to install a new SCSI card (Adaptec 2940U2W), a new SCSI
disk, and FreeBSD 3.3 (from the CDROM) on a machine that's currently
running 2.2.6 and using a 2940AU. Machine currently has 1 SCSI disk and
1 IDE disk.

When booting from the 3.3 installer floppy with only the current SCSI
disk online, with either the old or the new SCSI card, everything will
go fine. With the new disk present, the boot process will apparently get
very slow when probing (or perhaps stuck - I let it sit 10 minutes after
the last message) and complain about parity errors and timeouts (exact
messages available upon request).

I formatted and surface-tested the new disk using the embedded (on the
new card) utility and everything apparently went fine. As far as I can
tell, everything is properly terminated and there are no ID conflicts. I
tried booting with the new disk only, thinking that perhaps the old one
was too slow or otherwise caused the problem, to no avail.

I haven't tried, and will probably try while waiting for an answer:

- Installing a lesser OS on the new disk and see what happens (to rule
  out basic disk/card/bus problems that the formatting wouldn't spot);

- Installing 3.3 on the existing disk;

- Kicking and swearing at the machine, the OS, the documentation, and
  the general unfairness of life. :-)

advTHANKSance.

--
Weapon safety tip: "Before shooting yourself in the foot, take your foot
out of your mouth." --Leslie Burgess