Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:00:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
Cc:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

[ Moved to -chat ]

> > >Doesn't change the fact that "LOTS of people" are still running it...
> > >Geez, what a curt, rude, throw-your-hands-up answer.
> > >
> > >Are you saying that if we found a terrible bug (not this easy one)
> > >somewhere critical in 3.5.%d, we'd all have to immediatly upgrade? - Jy@
> >
> > Yes, I am saying that.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> And this is why Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, et al will NEVER beat a supported
> pay-for-use Operating System like Windows in the eyes of real-world
> business-critical system administrators and CIOs.

Really?  Explain to me how Win95/NT 'supports' it's easier with day-day
bugfixes in a manner that's better than FreeBSD?

Win98 has the 'critical update', but it's basically the same as
FreeBSD's CVSup.  Packaging is better, and it's easier to use, but with
user support FreeBSD's update system could be as easy to use.

However, back to the issue at hand.  Microsoft doesn't support old OS's
like Win95 and NT3.5/4.0.  Heck, support for Win98 just ended with the
release of WinME.

There are *lots* of critical bugs in Win95, NT3.5, and NT 4.0 that exist
today.  Microsoft's response to the bugfixes is 'We don't support older
versions of the OS.  You must upgrade to a supported OS (WinME, Win2K),
in order to get up to date support.)

I won't even begin with Solaris. :)

> Of course, all the egos, moaning, and bitching don't help either.

Ain't that the truth.  Listening to Steve Ballmer's or Scott McNeally's
speeches are like that, though I've gotten used to it. :) :) :)

Nate