Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2012 02:17:48 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: not overwriting files in /usr/share/skel

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you about this.

On 01/20/2012 06:50, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Files in /usr/share/skel are used as example . (dot) files for new
> accounts, when new user is added by adduser command.
> We have some local modifications in those files, like another umask and
> so on.

You would probably be better off putting these kinds of local
modifications in /etc/login.conf.

> The files are overwritten on each installworld.
>
> Is there any option to not overwrite files in /usr/share/skel or
> install/upgrade them with mergemaster instead?

No such option exists, sorry.

> Or should we use some other directory and use adduser.conf instead?

That would be another suitable alternative for you, yes.

> PS: I am CCing you Doug, because I think you are the most competent
> person in this area

I'm flattered. :)  And once again, sorry for the delay.

hth,

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.